Paper: Authorities cancel Silvercrest concession

- Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Related Image

Honduran authorities have decided to recall a silver mining concession awarded to a subsidiary of Canadian junior Silvercrest on the grounds that part of the concession area lies within the Guisayote national reserve, local daily El Tiempo reported.

The country's mining promotion agency Defomin made the decision at the request of community groups from Ocotepeque department. A commission of forestry industry, government and municipal groups was created to evaluate the situation.

Last week Silvercrest said Defomin had asked it to postpone drilling its silver projects in the country while it completes talks with local authorities about permitting requirements and procedures. The company is planning 1,500m of core drilling at its El Ocote project in western Honduras and another program at Opoteca in the central-west of the country.

Start your 15 day free trial now!

cta-arrow

Already a subscriber? Please, login

At the time the company said it believed the delay would be short-lived, adding it had started public relations programs in key municipalities to address exploration issues with locals.

In early October, anti-mining protests occurred in Aramecina municipality in Valle department over reports that Defomin had granted 15 exploitation licenses in the area.

ASK US