Computer sales grow 23.5% to 13.7mn in 2010

- Monday, February 21, 2011

Computer sales grow 23.5% to 13.7mn in 2010

Brazil ranked fourth globally in 2010 PC sales, having moved 13.7mn units - 23.5% more than in 2009 - according to a study by IT consultancy IDC's Brazilian unit.

Only the US, China and Japan witnessed more computer purchases last year. In Brazil, desktops accounted for a 55% share of all buys, with notebooks filling in the remaining 45%.

The sale of an estimated 100,000 tablets in 2010 was not included in IDC's computer industry total. The consultancy expects the recently introduced devices will impact netbook producers in 2011.

Start your 15 day free trial now!

cta-arrow

Already a subscriber? Please, login

In the 4Q10 alone, the retail and corporate markets purchased 3.6mn PCs, year-over-year growth of 15% from 4Q09, but a drop from 3Q10.

The fourth quarter of 2010 "revealed a scenario different from what we have seen in the past, when more computers were sold due to Christmas," said IDC research director Luciano Crippa.