Guerrero to spend US$11.3mn on wastewater treatment

- Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Guerrero to spend US$11.3mn on wastewater treatment

Mexican national water authority Conagua will begin a program to reactivate and operate 45 wastewater treatment plants in Guerrero state, according to a release.

The treatment plants are currently operated by Conagua but will now be supervised by Guerrero's potable water, sewage and sanitation commission.

The Guerrero state government has hired companies to operate the plants for the next 12 months at a cost of 135mn pesos (US$11.3mn). The state government has provided 70% of the funding with the remaining 30% divided between the relevant municipalities.

Start your 15 day free trial now!

cta-arrow

Already a subscriber? Please, login

As an extra incentive, the operators will receive 50 centavos from Conagua for every cubic meter of treated water produced.

POTABLE WATER

Conagua also confirmed the start of construction on the Lomas de Chapultepec water distribution system in Acapulco, Guerrero. Two wells will be built, each with capacity to produce 625l/s.

The system will increase the supply of potable water to Acapulco by 1,250l/s over the next 30 years.