Semarnat, Sonora sign US$146mn water infrastructure agreement

- Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Semarnat, Sonora sign US$146mn water infrastructure agreement

Mexico's Sonora state governor Guillermo Padrés Elías and environment minister Juan Rafael Elvira have signed an agreement to provide more than 1.72bn pesos (US$146mn) for water infrastructure in the state.

The federal government will provide some 70.5% of the funds, with the state government picking up the remaining 29.5%, the environment ministry (Semarnat) said in a release.

The majority of the funds, some 1.41bn pesos, will be allocated to improving management of water resources, with the remainder going towards the sustainable management of the state's forests.

Start your 15 day free trial now!

cta-arrow

Already a subscriber? Please, login

Through national water authority Conagua, funds will be used to support construction of the Navojoa, Nogales and Hermosillo wastewater treatment plants, which aim to increase Sonora's wastewater treatment coverage from 47.8% to 68%.

Other projects include the improvement of potable water distribution in urban areas and the modernization of the irrigation system in the Yaqui river region's 041 irrigation district.