The María Elena project calls for the construction and operation of a 400MW thermosolar complex, 62km southeast of the city of Calama in northern Chile's Antofagasta region (II). Developed by Ibereólica Solar Atacama, a local subsidiary of Spanish energy firm Grupo Ibereólica, María Elena will feature four independent 100MW plants spread over an area of 2,897ha. The complex will be built in two stages, each one expected to take 38 months to complete. Each 100MW plant will comprise 8,800 heliostats mounted on double-axis PV trackers that will capture and reflect the Atacama desert's rich solar radiation (up to 4,800kcal/m2 a day) onto a 260m-high collector tower. The concentrated radiation will be used to heat thermal fluids made up mostly of molten salt, which then will be used to produce steam, allowing the generation of electricity through a 100MW steam-turbine generator. The project includes a double circuit 220kV transmission line that will run 17.5km to the Encuentro substation, injecting 2,590GWh/y to the country's northern SING grid.
María Elena thermosolar plant
EIA - Approved
400  MW (megawatt) Solar Power
The María Elena thermosolar project is planned for the district of María Elena in northern Chile's Antofagasta region (II).
* The map coordinates represent the approximate latitude and longitude, and not the exact location of the project.
Only BNamericas Subscribers Can Access This Information.
Subscribe to BNamericas to gain better insight into project development and contract opportunities in Latin America.
Early-stage and under-development projects throughout the region
Project coverage focused on biggest investments in each country and sector
Project milestones highlighting planned and unplanned developments
Sales contacts within operators and contracted companies
Access to experienced research staff
Risk analysis of cost increases, scheduling conflicts and regulatory environment
* Figures and dates are as per the latest publicly available information, as well as information gathered by BNamericas reporters and analysts and are subject to change.
* Changes to original budget estimates are shown as the total figure available and may include interest, working capital, inflation adjustments and other contingencies in addition to capital expenditure.
* Amounts and overall results are shown in US dollars unless otherwise stated.
* BNamericas does not guarantee the sequence, accuracy, adequacy, completeness or availability of any information and is not responsible for any errors or omissions or for the results obtained from the use of such information. There are no express or implied warranties. In no event shall BNamericas, its agents, directors, officers, employees, representatives, successors, and assigns be liable for any damages of any nature in connection with the BNamericas content.