Chile
News

CorpGroup announces deal to sell Chilean insurance units

Bnamericas Published: Monday, September 23, 2013
Chilean financial services group CorpGroup has reached an agreement to sell its insurance units to local holding Inversiones La Construcción (ILC). CorpGroup, which controls local bank CorpBanca, announced on Monday that it had signed an MOU with ILC for the sale of a controlling stake in its general insurance unit, CorpSeguros, and its life insurance arm, CorpVida. Under the deal, CorpGroup will receive US$165mn in cash, while ILC will assume a proportional share of the units' debt obligations. The deal values the two insurance subsidiaries at some US$650mn, CorpGroup said in a release. CorpGroup's owner, Chilean businessman Alvaro Saieh, had reportedly received at least three offers for the insurance companies. Saieh is seeking to raise capital in response to funding and performance issues at CorpBanca sister firm, supermarket chain Unimarc (SMU), according to reports last week. In addition, Moody's recently announced a review for downgrade of CorpBanca, citing the bank's increased exposure to Colombia through its US$1.3bn acquisition of Helm Bank, completed in August this year. CorpGroup and ILC have begun due diligence proceedings and the deal is expected to close by November 30, according to the CorpGroup release. ILC is set to acquire a 67% stake in CorpGroup Vida, the parent company of CorpSeguros and CorpVida, while CorpGroup will retain the remaining 33%. In Chile, ILC's assets include private pension fund manger AFP Habitat and life insurer Vida Cámara.

Subscribe to the most trusted business intelligence platform in Latin America. Let us show you our solutions for Suppliers, Contractors, Operators, Government, Legal, Financial and Insurance.

Subscribe to Latin America’s most trusted business intelligence platform.

Other projects

Get key information on thousands of projects in Latin America, from current stage, to capex, related companies, key contacts and more.

  • Project: Quebradona
  • Current stage: Blurred
  • Updated: 3 days ago
  • Project: Itinga
  • Current stage: Blurred
  • Updated: 3 days ago
  • Project: Ayawilca
  • Current stage: Blurred
  • Updated: 3 days ago

Other companies

Get key information on thousands of companies in Latin America, from projects, to contacts, shareholders, related news and more.

  • Company: BASF Chile S.A.  (BASF Chile)
  • BASF Chile, a subsidiary of German chemical company BASF SE, started operations in Chile in 1910 representing the firm on the Pacific Coast, and supplying Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador...
  • Company: BNP Paribas Colombia
  • The description contained in this profile was taken directly from an official source and has not been edited or modified by BNamericas researchers, but may have been automatical...
  • Company: ATCO México
  • ATCO México, the local subsidiary of Canadian holding group ATCO, is engaged in the development, construction and operation of energy infrastructure. Since its incorporation in ...
  • Company: Akzo Nobel Ltda.  (AkzoNobel Brasil)
  • AkzoNobel Brasil is the Brazilian subsidiary of AkzoNobel, the Dutch global paints and coatings company and producer of specialty chemicals with operations in more than 80 count...
  • Company: 3M Chile S.A.  (3M Chile)
  • 3M Chile is the local subsidiary of the diversified global technology company 3M, which operates in four business units: security and industry, transportation and electronics, h...
  • Company: Gold Fields Ltd.  (Gold Fields)
  • Gold Fields Ltd. is a South African mining company engaged in gold mining and related activities, including exploration, extraction, processing and smelting. It is a producer of...
  • Company: Finning International Inc.  (Finning)
  • Finning International is a Canadian distributor of heavy equipments. The firm is the world's largest Caterpillar equipment dealer, with operations in western Canada, the UK, Ire...