Colombia
News

Construction of US$300mn Medellín light train line to begin in 1Q23

Bnamericas Published: Tuesday, November 22, 2022
Construction of US$300mn Medellín light train line to begin in 1Q23

Construction of the Avenida 80 light rail line in Medellín, Colombia's second biggest city, is set to start in the first quarter of next year.

“With the contract signed for the work and supply of rolling stock and the supervision contract, we can say that we should advance to the order to start in early January," Tomás Elejalde, manager of state-owned subway firm Metro de Medellín, said in comments broadcast by Medellín city hall.

According to Elejalde, the audit report on the award of the contract will be ready in the next few days.

Empresas Publicas de Medellín (EPM) designed the networks for the first section of the light rail system and these designs will be delivered to the winning bidder.

The consortium Unión Temporal Metro de la 80, formed by the companies China Railway Construction Company (CRCC), Mota-Engil Portugal and Mota-Engil Colombia, was awarded the construction contract after making the only proposal.

The project consists of a 13.3km light rail line with 17 stations along Avenida 80 in the city. Operations are expected to start in 2027.

The rail line is considered the most important public transport initiative to be carried out in the capital of Antioquia department during the last 25 years.

The State will finance 70% of the work, while the remaining 30% will be covered by the city authorities.

Subscribe to the most trusted business intelligence platform in Latin America. Let us show you our solutions for Suppliers, Contractors, Operators, Government, Legal, Financial and Insurance.

Subscribe to Latin America’s most trusted business intelligence platform.

Other projects in: Infrastructure (Colombia)

Get critical information about thousands of Infrastructure projects in Latin America: what stages they're in, capex, related companies, contacts and more.

Other companies in: Infrastructure (Colombia)

Get critical information about thousands of Infrastructure companies in Latin America: their projects, contacts, shareholders, related news and more.

  • Company: Consorcio CS LTDA.  (Consorcio CS)
  • Consorcio CS is a company formed by Cal y Mayor and Supervisión e Ingeniería de Proyectos SAS for the execution of the San Cristóbal aerial cable project (Ramal La Victoria - Ju...
  • Company: Tubos Colmena S.A.S.  (Tubos Colmena)
  • The description contained in this profile was taken directly from an official source and has not been edited or modified by BNamericas researchers, but may have been automatical...
  • Company: Mincivil S.A.  (Mincivil)
  • Mincivil SA is a Colombian group made up of the firms Mincivil, Topco and Gravillera Albania. The group has six business lines: infrastructure, energy, mining, special services,...
  • Company: Instituto Nacional de Vías  (INVIAS)
  • Created in 1992, Colombia's National highway authority Invias is a state-owned entity that operates under the Transport Ministry, tasked with executing policies, strategies, pla...
  • Company: Liebherr Colombia S.A.S.  (Liebherr Colombia)
  • The Colombian subsidiary of the construction machinery manufacturer, Liebherr, was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in the city of Barranquilla. The company markets products...