Colombia and Brazil

Petrobras preparing new Colombia offshore exploration

Bnamericas Published: Wednesday, January 18, 2023
Petrobras preparing new Colombia offshore exploration

Brazil’s Petrobras is preparing a new stage of its exploration campaign in Colombia’s Tayrona offshore block, a source close to the matter told BNamericas. 

The state-run oil firm’s plan is to start work between April and June 2024.

According to the source, Petrobras is hiring helicopters to support the campaign for three years, with the possibility of a contractual extension for the same period. 

The aircraft will use the Simón Bolívar international airport and an aerodrome in the municipality of Santa Marta, in Magdalena department.  

Last July, Petrobras announced the discovery of natural gas accumulation in Tayrona through the Uchuva-1 well, 32km off Colombia's Caribbean coast in water 830m deep.

The discovery may have changed Petrobras’ plan to sell its 44.44% stake in the asset, which had been for sale since 2020. Colombia’s state-owned Ecopetrol holds the remaining 55.56%. 

The Brazilian company said the discovery was the result of the consortium's actions to enhance the use of data through the application of new technological solutions in geology and geophysics, added to its expertise in deepwater operations.

“The result achieved increases the prospects for developing a new frontier of exploration and production in Colombia,” Petrobras added. 

When contacted by BNamericas, Petrobras’ press office said the next stage of the exploratory campaign in Colombia will respect the contractual deadlines for the Tayrona block, including those related to the discovery assessment plan for the Uchuva well, in accordance with the commitments signed with local hydrocarbons agency ANH.

The company did not confirm if Tayrona remains in its divestment plans.

Subscribe to the leading business intelligence platform in Latin America with different tools for Providers, Contractors, Operators, Government, Legal, Financial and Insurance industries.

Subscribe to Latin America’s most trusted business intelligence platform.

Other projects in: Oil & Gas (Colombia)

Get critical information about thousands of Oil & Gas projects in Latin America: what stages they're in, capex, related companies, contacts and more.

  • Project: Bloque OMBU
  • Current stage: Blurred
  • Updated: 2 years ago

Other companies in: Oil & Gas (Colombia)

Get critical information about thousands of Oil & Gas companies in Latin America: their projects, contacts, shareholders, related news and more.

  • Company: Tensteel S.A.S.  (Tensteel)
  • The description contained in this profile was taken directly from an official source and has not been edited or modified by BNamericas researchers, but may have been automatical...
  • Company: Aecom Technical Services Inc.  (Aecom Colombia)
  • Aecom Technical Services Inc. (Aecom Colombia) is the local office of the international infrastructure consulting firm AECOM. The company has been present in the South American ...