Mexico
Feature

Coming up: 2 major Mexico City transport tenders

Bnamericas Published: Wednesday, April 21, 2021
Coming up: 2 major Mexico City transport tenders

Mexico City’s government has confirmed plans to begin construction of two major urban transport projects next year, indicating tenders will be launched either later this year or in early 2022. 

One project involves an eighth corridor for the city’s bus rapid transit system (BRT) known as Metrobús, while the other involves building the third line of the capital’s cable car system known as Cablebús, one of mayor Claudia Sheinbaum’s signature projects.

The mayor said in January that 90% of her proposed infrastructure projects would be completed in 2021, with the remaining two being part of the 10% that she must finish before leaving office in 2024. 

Metrobús line No. 0

The project was announced last year and Sheinbaum confirmed in early March that construction of the corridor, dubbed Metrobús line No. 0, would start next year. 

The original proposal projected a corridor with three terminals and more than 100 stops at ground level, although new studies need to be done.

The line would run alongside the Circuito Interior Bicentenario beltway around downtown Mexico City, and include a small branch that would extend to the southwest. 

The line will link to 28 Metrobús stations, 34 metro stations, 62 eco-bike stations and 15 stops of the ongoing elevated trolleybus system, according to the project website.

Cablebús line No. 3

Sheinbaum confirmed in February that construction of the third cable car line will start in 2022, and a tender could be launched either later this year or in the first couple of months of next year. 

Specific details about the project have not been unveiled yet, but it is known that the local government wants to build a line running between Ajusco and Universidad stations through Coyoacán district, in the south of the capital. 

So far, the mayor’s office has awarded two contracts to build lines No. 1 and 2. The first line was opened on March 4, while the second reported overall physical progress of 92% on March 30. 

Doppelmayr México – a subsidiary of Austrian ropeway, cable car and ski lift manufacturer Doppelmayr – won in July 2019 the 2.92bn-peso (US$153mn) contract to build the first line along with local company Gami Ingeniería e Instalaciones

In September that year, Italy’s Leitner, which had also presented a bid for line No. 1, won the 3.1bn-peso contract to build the second line. 

The 9.2km line No. 1 runs through the northern part of the city between the Cuautepec de Madero district and Cetram Indios Verdes. It has six stations and travel time is 33 minutes. Each cabin has capacity for 10 passengers. According to authorities, the line should be fully operating on June 20. 

Line No. 2 will run 10.2km through Iztapalapa, from Constitución de 1971 to Santa Marta stations. In addition to connecting to the elevated trolleybus system, the line will link to metro lines 8 and A.

When Sheinmbaum proposed building Mexico City’s cable car system, she envisioned it having four lanes. 

However, she announced in February that her government was mulling the idea of canceling line 4 in the southeast of the city given that the federal government, in collaboration with Mexico City and Mexico state, will conclude in 2023 construction of the 90bn-peso México-Toluca interurban rail link, which would cover passenger demand in the area.

Subscribe to the most trusted business intelligence platform in Latin America. Let us show you our solutions for Suppliers, Contractors, Operators, Government, Legal, Financial and Insurance.

Subscribe to Latin America’s most trusted business intelligence platform.

Other projects in: Infrastructure (Mexico)

Get critical information about thousands of Infrastructure projects in Latin America: what stages they're in, capex, related companies, contacts and more.

Other companies in: Infrastructure (Mexico)

Get critical information about thousands of Infrastructure companies in Latin America: their projects, contacts, shareholders, related news and more.

  • Company: Equipos Eléctricos de Baja California  (EEBC)
  • The description contained in this profile was taken directly from an official source and has not been edited or modified by BNamericas researchers, but may have been automatical...
  • Company: Sacmag de Mexico, S.A. De C.V.  (Grupo SACMAG)
  • The description contained in this profile was taken directly from an official source and has not been edited or modified by BNamericas researchers, but may have been automatical...