Megacable aims to complete fiber migration in 2025-26

Bnamericas Published: Saturday, February 04, 2023
Megacable aims to complete fiber migration in 2025-26

Mexico’s Megacable has migrated half its HFC cable network to fiber, now taking aim at the rest.

"I believe that 80% of the [HFC network] will have been converted into fiber in 2024, and in 2025-26 we will migrate the other 20%," CEO Enrique Yamuni told BNamericas.

The company accelerated the initial migration plan.

"We are dismantling that network that already has a fiber overlay and we are moving all those nodes to double the capacity of other, smaller areas," Yamuni said. "We thought the conversion of that other 50% was going to take us six years, but the reality is that the market is demanding it sooner," he added.

Megacable is present in around 450 localities, of which some 250 have fiber optics deployed. In localities with fiber optics overlay, the company has migrated "practically 90% of customers."

Megacable has committed to a US$2bn investment plan to double its size, reach new locations and migrate its client base to fiber optics.

During 2022, the company deployed some 24,000km of fiber optics, expanding to new localities or converting the HFC network. This year, Megacable plans to deploy another 30,000km.

In 3Q22, the company registered 10.5mn homes passed, up 13.7% year-on-year, and its network covered 71,460km.

In addition, the company is strengthening its long-distance fiber network.

Megacable executed some US$800mn of its expansion plan, maintaining capex for this year, but slowing in 2024 and 2025, Yamuni said. Results should be seen in the second half this year.

"We did well in 2022, we had growth. We did not expect much growth because it was a year of investment, launching markets," he said.

Megacable recently announced a 900mn-peso (US$31.8mn) infrastructure investment to reach 70% coverage in Baja California state. Monterrey operations will get 1.5bn pesos, Chihuahua 700mn pesos, Jalisco 600mn pesos and Aguascalientes 400mn pesos.

Subscribe to the most trusted business intelligence platform in Latin America. Let us show you our solutions for Suppliers, Contractors, Operators, Government, Legal, Financial and Insurance.

Subscribe to Latin America’s most trusted business intelligence platform.

Other projects in: ICT

Get critical information about thousands of ICT projects in Latin America: what stages they're in, capex, related companies, contacts and more.

Other companies in: ICT (Mexico)

Get critical information about thousands of ICT companies in Latin America: their projects, contacts, shareholders, related news and more.

  • Company: Mexico Telecom Partners
  • Mexico Tower Partners (MTP) builds, owns, manages and leases telecommunication towers in the country, with a current portfolio of over 1,700 cell towers. The infrastructure is i...
  • Company: GlobalSat México
  • The Mexican company GlobalSat offers satellite telecommunication services and products, especially on integration, operation and exploitation of satellite technologies. Globalsa...
  • Company: Eutelsat Americas
  • Eutelsat Americas (formerly Satmex) is a Mexican company that offers fixed satellite services to local and international broadcasting and telecom firms throughout the Americas, ...