Baja California aims to receive bids for US$33mn desalination tender by July

- Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Baja California aims to receive bids for US$33mn desalination tender by July

Mexico's Baja California state water authority CEA hopes to receive bids for a tender to design, build and operate Ensenada's El Salitral desalination plant by July, the authority's head of public relations, Marco Zambrano, told BNamericas.

"The first clarification meeting was held on April 29 and a second is planned for May 11. The presentation of offers would be sometime after that. We're talking end-June or the beginning of July," Zambrano said.

The schedule could possibly be pushed back again if the participating firms request more time to clear up any remaining doubts about the project, Zambrano added. The authority will award the tender within 40 days of the presentation of offers.

Start your 15 day free trial now!

cta-arrow

Already a subscriber? Please, login

CEA launched the tender on February 22. A previous tender to build the facility, launched in November, was cancelled after competing firms asked for more time to prepare offers.

Construction of the plant, which will have capacity to treat 250l/s of seawater, is scheduled to take 18 months.

The project has a budget of some 400mn pesos (US$33.2mn), BNamericas reported previously. The winning firm will operate the plant under a 20-year concession contract and invest 60% of the total cost. National development bank Banobras will finance the remaining 40%.