Consolidated Water to bid on US$34mn Ensenada desalination plant

- Thursday, May 12, 2011

Consolidated Water to bid on US$34mn Ensenada desalination plant

Cayman Islands-based Consolidated Water Company will bid on a tender to design, build and operate the El Salitral desalination plant in Ensenada, in northwestern Mexico's Baja California state, company CEO Rick McTaggart told BNamericas.

"It has been cancelled several times, and I understand the tender deadline is being extended once again until sometime in June. We're going to bid on it," McTaggart said.

The plant, which has a budget of some 400mn pesos (US$34.3mn), will be operated under a 20-year concession, BNamericas reported previously. The concessionaire will cover 60% of the cost and national development bank Banobras will finance the remaining 40%.

Start your 15 day free trial now!

cta-arrow

Already a subscriber? Please, login

Baja California state water authority CEA launched the tender on February 22. A previous tender to build the facility, launched in November, was cancelled after competing firms asked for more time to prepare offers.

The full interview with Rick McTaggart will be published in this week's Water & Waste Perspectives, for subscribers only.